Monday, January 24, 2011

Inaugural


Here we go.


In November of 2010, I decided I wanted to spend more of my time working with horses. Back as far as high school I was seriously considering some equine-industry career, but I settled on computer programming in the hopes of becoming a video game designer. Then the recession and associated hiring freezes happened as I was graduating from college, so I came to Maryland as a telecom programmer instead.


Since November, I've put things in order. I prepped new health insurance, talked things over with my prospective future employers at The Barn, decided I would just have to lose dental insurance, and finally on January 3rd, 2011, I asked my employer at my Real Job if I could work for them part time. My employer was amazingly supportive of my request, and today, the 24th of January, I'm starting my new routine.


This blog is about being an equine working student, since the last time I looked for a blog about the life of a working student I couldn't find one. I will write about my duties and the things I learn about the care, management, and training of horses. Probably I will deviate to talk about other things, but I'm hoping to mostly keep it to horses.


My goal is that someone I don't know personally will read and comment on the blog one day. I am hopeful, but have low expectations. Despite this goal, don't let the fact that I know you personally stop you from commenting! And even if you don't care about horses, if I know you personally and am likely to see you again in the next year you'd better be reading. I will quiz you.

7 comments:

  1. Plenty of people with teeth have never followed their dreams: sometimes you have to sacrifice dental health to be truly happy. So as to avoid long-windedness and clichés, let me simply say that I am deeply impressed by your new plan, your intrepidity, and you. I wish you the best of luck, and will be wishing you that continuously throughout this adventure of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say, "break a leg," but I hear that is very bad for horses. Sounds like a great decision. Auntie Lolo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the 'warning' was going to be for pictures of equine nudity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meggie, I am so proud of you! You're a weirdly awesome role model:) Can't wait to read all your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Looks like I'll have to create a horses section in my RSS reader. Currently I only have pittsburgh sports and mini ponies as my equine entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds amazing!
    Also, who really needs teeth? Dentures are the first step towards becoming cyborgs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I'm a working student, maybe I should start writing a blog again :) Looking forward to read yours.

    ReplyDelete